Journey To China

Travel with us as we journey to China to meet and bring home Margaret Virginia Mei (Maggie) and Mary Henley Yi (Mary Henley). We will document our travel via this blog site...we hope you enjoy keeping up with the Seven Sims!

Mark 9:36 - He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little ones in my name, welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Teeth to brush, Rolling with the Tide!...and a sightseeing trip to Xian City

 Today we paid homage to the 60's with our Flower Power and Heart-O-Plenty sweaters and stylish jeans.  But before we hit the streets of the city it was time for some proper hygiene.  What the pictures don't reflect is both Meritt and me having our teeth brushed over, and over, and over and over again...absolutely nothing better!
After breakfast we Skyped with Matt, Macey and Grandmother...we got to hear about Matt's awesome basketball game and talk with Macey about preparing a paper for a scholarship opportunity at Samford University...what joy it brings us to be able to catch up with them each day!!!
We watched the Tide Roll over LSU...well, I kept one eye on the game while making bead bracelets (which I was asked to wear by the girls...warmed my heart), coloring, playing with stickers and A LOT of drawing on the magnidoodle...they love to draw!  Matt and Marshall kept me up to speed on the game  by texting about key plays.  At half-time we took a stroll, run, jump and scream trip down the halls of the hotel to get some exercise.  The girls love it...they hold hands, jump out from behind corners to scare each other, and generally giggle the whole time (although the giggling may more be related to how Meritt runs down the hall with us).

Two quick stories before I finish with the pictures below.  Last night, after bath time (another story in itself), Meritt and the girls laid down on the bed for book time and all three quickly fell asleep.  It was the most picture perfect moment...all three tucked into bed (Meritt in the middle) with only their faces showing from under the covers...beautiful girls!  And, yes I missed the perfect picture moment...and it is all I have thought about all day.  I told Meritt she had to recreate the moment again tonight so I could share it with you all.  We'll see!?!

Second story - while we were drawing and playing stickers and beads Maggie and Mary Henley began a deep conversation in which Meritt and I could make out the words Mama and Baba (daddy).  They would go on and on and on mentioning Mama this and Mama that...yada yada yada...and then every once in while we would hear the word Baba followed by giggles and laughs!  We have no idea what they were saying...but I am quite certain it has something to do with my hair...both the lack of it on my head, and the over-abundance everywhere else.  I get it...it's not pretty. 
We visited a very old Bagota (first built in 500AD) today and learned some very fascinating history of Xian City.  And although I really like the historically aspect of our sightseeing...it was very cold, the traffic was really bad, and the girls could not touch anything...and it was really cold!
 We climbed about a billion steps to reach the top of the wall that surrounds inner Xian city...it is an amazing structure and really cool.
 The girls, Meritt and Celine looking over the wall into central Xian City...
We had a lot of fun today just hanging out with each other...Maggie seems to be hitting her stride and Mary Henley keeps holding us together.  Perfect example...as we normally do, Meritt and I have been praying before each meal...well the last two meals (including tonight's dinner) after scrambling to find something  on the buffet that girls would eat, getting Meritt situated with something that agreed with her while she entertained two four-year olds with food, and then getting myself a plate we have forgotten to pray...so, halfway through each meal Mary Henley has reminded us that we forgot to pray...she did this by folding her little hands together and bowing her head!  To quote Forrest Gump..."that's all I gonna say about that"...unless you want me to start crying.

We visit the Terracotta dudes tomorrow...still praying for guidance on the visit to Maggie's orphanage which would be Thursday, pick up Maggie's Passport Friday and fly to the Guangzhou Friday evening.  Can you tell we are counting the days!?!?

We look so forward to being home with all you very soon!

8 comments:

  1. This is PRECIOUS!! I just read it at least twice, trying to picture everything that's happening. Mike, this is so well-written-- when I'm reading, I feel like I'm living these little moments along with y'all--I see what's happening and feel the emotions. As always, I teared up almost right away. I am SO excited for y'all and SO excited to meet the girls when y'all get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls are so luckly to have you as parents. I am living this experience through your daily postings and wish I was there with you. Every day the girls look more and more relaxed and content. It is heartwarming to watch the transformation. Know you will love the terra cotta warriors. They are really something. And by the way, ROLL TIDE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet to see you and the girls. Have a wonderful time sightseeing. I know everyone at home can't wait to have all of youyou with them. Prayers and hugs....Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    I cannot believe that I even suggested that you might need Jody (no offense) to help you blog. I have been moved to tears with your stories and can just picture in my mind the moments...mostly the Forrest Gump story. How precious.
    We can't wait to get you back home where you belong. Have you told the girls about me yet??? I want to defend myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Family! Loving the stories and so happy for you all that Maggie is adjusting to "you people"!! Once again, thank goodness for Mary Henley! Loving the story of the girls clearly making fun of Mike--I told Merrit they would be talking about you guys!! Do not know what i would do without this blog for my entertainment and pleasure!! Cannot help thinking about Merrit touring in that freezing cold, i think she hates cold weather more than me and I despise it!! Hang in there, Merrit!! Roll Tide to you both, great game!! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh cathy vaughan...you are so, so wrong! of course mike needed me...we worked on all of this for weeks prior their leaving. hour after hour of "how to write a tear-jerking blog from china" classes were conducted. until my interference, er...umm...assistance, mike was planning to only send postcards from china! =) truth is, these precious faces and our great God tell the story in the most beautiful way ever. (mike, i do agree with CV though...excellent job)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, being unknown, would just like to add that I too think that this blog is excellently portraying the beautiful story that is unfolding there. I feel as though I am with you. For people I only know through my sweet friend Charlotte; you have managed to rein me in. Thanks again for sharing. Prayers and hugs.....Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow some great stuff here! The bonding is working in capital letters!! Wow....

    Ya know - our family LOVES China - use your city wall visit yesterday - did you notice that no single stone in that wall was bigger than one person could lift? Like ants can move a mountain so people can build a wall - one grain of sand at a time!

    Kinda like you can build a family - well - except that y'all over reach a little!! ;)

    And yeah - why am I not surprised there's a Jody influence here? Come to think of it - I may have started reading you because of Jody - but still - I've seen enough in this short time to see why there's a bond there...

    And you do know that when you are half way round the world building a family you are doing one of the most difficult things in the world. If you survive this - if you flower and bloom while you are doing it like y'all are - well you've got it made when you get home...just.sayin...

    hugs - great joy for you guys - hope you found your answer about todays visit (it's your night right now!!)

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete