Journey To China

Travel with us as we journey to China to meet and bring home Margaret Virginia Mei (Maggie) and Mary Henley Yi (Mary Henley). We will document our travel via this blog site...we hope you enjoy keeping up with the Seven Sims!

Mark 9:36 - He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little ones in my name, welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Terracotta Soldiers, lots of bonding time...and a Pallace Show!

 We had an early morning wake up call (7am China Standard Time...whatever that means) to get dressed, eat breakfast and meet Celine and Mr. Leo (our driver, who by the way is awesome and the girls love him because he helps them into the van each day...lots of giggles!) to travel about 1 hour outside the city to see the mausoleum of China's first emperor and the Terracotta Soldier army he ordered crafted around his tomb (I think?!?!).  See above a picture of the girls standing in front two soldiers and General Meritt.
It was incredible to see the number of soldiers and horses (over 6,000) that had been handcrafted out of the red clay.  Unbelievable detail...down to the fingernails and treads on their shoes.  Really cool...the girls where mildly entertained...it was cold!  See below a crafty picture I took in front of one of the exhibits...its a reflection of us...but you probably already figured that out

After returning to our room around 2pm, we had about 4 hours to play prior to going to a Pallace Show that Celine recommended.  We colored, got stickered and bowed up (always a good look), and just hung out.  It was awesome...the girls really enjoy playing with each other...absolutely love Meritt...and seem to find some humor in messing around with me.  They find a great deal of joy in loading me up with bows in the few hairs on my head, placing stickers all over my face and then parading me to the mirror to begin the giggle process...I love it because they grab my hand (which makes my day...more on that in a minute)...the getting pulled to the mirror for exhibition time is just icing on the cake!
After play time...and a little bit of dad time (I got a trip to the gym!)...Meritt is awesome to give me this time each day...we got all dolled up in our best wares and headed to the show.  Above Maggie enjoyed sampling the wonderful dumplings stuffed with shrimp, vegetables, meats and scallops...I think she has at least three in her mouth for this picture.
 Check Mary Henley out on the left...I'm pretty sure she has the REST of them in her mouth at this point.  They really enjoyed the eats tonight.
 The show was awesome, very pretty dresses, music and dances.  The girls eyes were glued to these very pretty young ladies in these awesome gowns dancing across the stage.  It was a wonderful treat.
Back in the room and ready for bed in our matching footy pajamas...at least I think that is what you call them.  No trap doors...just zippers up the front in case you are wondering.  I did...hence the comment.  Can't help but point out the wonderful smile on Maggie's face...that's the face Meritt and I fell in love with when we started this journey 18 months ago.  Mary Henley is the extra-blessing He knew we had to have to make this journey complete.  It's like with Marshall, Macey and Matt...despite being the bonehead (His description would be "stiff-necked") that I am, He chose to bless us (to be clear...Meritt is not a bonehead) with a glimpse of His glory.
As if all of the above wasn't enough with regard to what a wonderful day we had today...here's the best part...at least from my perspective.  While sitting in the chairs facing the stage at the show, we were all holding hands...not the kind of hand holding that is just palm to palm...but the real kind, where everyone of your fingers are interlocked with everyone of their little fingers...the kind where you know they don't want you to let go...and you don't want them to let go either!

Tomorrow is our orphanage visit.  As it stands tonight, I will go by myself to take pictures, thank Maggie's caregivers and deliver gifts.  We are making such good progress in our bonding with her, that I just can't bear the thought of putting her through the emotional turmoil that may come from seeing her friends and caregivers again.  Meritt is good either way (she has the ability to see the big picture...this is a marathon not a spring kind of thing)...I just sense there is more downside risk...it may be selfish...I pray that it isn't.

Friday will be a day of packing and preparation for our evening flight to Guangzhou...despite the difficulties in packing up and toting three women and four bags to the airport...it is a welcomed chore as it means we are that much closer to COMING HOME!!!

9 comments:

  1. So glad you had such a wonderful family day. The girls are blossoming under your loving care. How lucky they are. Loved all the food in the girls' mouths. If those dumplings are like the ones we had they were delicious. Know you are as anxious to get home as we all are to see you. What a wonderful group of 7 that will be (of course, until March). Love to all, Grandmom & Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear all is going well. They look so happy. I know you all are ready to get home. It brings back so many memories to when we got Leah. What a special time. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about your time together.
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just awesome. Your daughters are beautiful and blessed. Thank you for sharing your adoption journey. I'm really enjoying following. . .
    Sending Prayers,
    Sheri in Galveston
    www.happyhainfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just wondering why there are no pics of Mike with bows in his hair?!?! Happy to hear Maggie is still adjusting nicely as her smiles show! I am sure they do love Merrit, they probably think she is a kid too cause she still looks like one! AND Merrit looks just as happy as the girls!! I know you will be happy to get home and good luck to you, Mike at ALL the airports you have to navigate through with three women, God bless you! Cannot tell you how much I am enjoying the blog and cannot wait to meet those precious girls, still think you should let me have one of them!! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I want to see more pictures of Mike! I just LOVE seeing Meritt all lit up in pictures with the girls, and it sounds like Mike is just as delighted about everything as Meritt is! These girls are SO precious!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a terrific day. Loved the photo of the girls eating and your blog brought tears to our eyes. Mary Henley eats just like her cousin Ellie. We all went to bed tonight with joy in our hearts and smiles on our faces. WE jut LOVED skyping with you. See what is happening . . . your joy is so big, it's overflowing to others. Travel safe and we'll see you soon. Much Love,
    Sims in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike I love your wonderful stories. I hope you continue to journal when you get home. I haven't been able to catch y'all on skype lately but the pictures are great and you can tell how happy everyone is. I can't wait to meet my new neices. Praying for your safe journey home. Hugs to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning y'all - what a great day!! China Standard time means "my time" +13 - not that it matters much!!

    Love seeing the bond grow - and Mike - as a guy - I love hearing from another man, and one who is man enough to be a Dad... Just in case you didn't see it this way - you had a "God moment" at the show holding hands with your girls! You have earned the coveted title of "Baba" - well done sir!

    As for the visit to the SWI - you have nothing but my unqualified support! Y'all are the best judge of what is best for your girls - and no regrets - just charging forward with your family!

    Oh - and one last thought - at least in our house we call those footie PJ's - noogie suits!! And no - I've got no idea where that word came from some 27 years ago!!

    Great joy for y'all - it will be MUCH warmer and aside from the mandatory clinic visit - a lot of fun for you in GZ. Stop by Lucy's at least once - if you enjoy an occasional beer - Lucy's has the coldest Tsing Dao I found in China! I'm not much on adult beverages - or beer at all - but Tsing Dao was actually pretty dang good - and you should really experience the local brew at least once!

    hugs to all - prayers for your continued successes - hope the flight goes well for the girls!! Where will you be staying in GZ, Garden, Victory, or WS?

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE their little Jammies!! This blog is so precious, and I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete